U15’s 2 vs. Blackburn

After a false start, with the first scheduled game being forfeited by the other team due to not having sufficient players to field a team, Saturday 6th October saw the Nottingham Ice Cats in competitive action for the first time.
We travelled to Blackburn with a full squad, including four players icing in a league game for the first time , unsure what to expect from our opposition.
The game started well for the Ice Cats with good pressure in the offensive zone until a too many men penalty left them short-handed. Undeterred, one minute into the penalty the scoring was opened by Mitch Jewitt assisted by Billy Crofts.
Before the first period was done the Ice Cats went 2-0 up with a goal from Marco Ludlam assisted by Lewis How.
The second period became a bit of a goal fest for the Nottingham side. Henry Pont hit the spot assisted by Mitch Jewitt. This was followed by a lovely top corner wrist shot from the point from D-Man Ryan Walsh, assisted by Josiah Taylor. Marco Ludlam then picked up his second with the A going to Will Shields. A powerplay opportunity was capitalised on by Mitch Jewitt for his second, assisted by Henry Pont. The period was finished off by Will Ellington scoring his first league goal assisted by Mitch.  7-0 to the Ice Cats at the end of two periods
Netminder Charlie Henry, retaining his clean sheet, handed over the reins to Owen Crowder for the third period.
Two minutes in, Blackburn went on the powerplay following a high stick call against Nottingham. They set up well and shot. Oliver Massey hit the mark for Blackburn making it 7-1.
A further penalty to Nottingham came soon after. Shorthanded, the puck fell right for Lewis How who went end to end and beat the keeper one on one.  
The scoring was completed a few minutes before the end of the game when a slapshot from the point from Joe Howie was re-directed into the Blackburn net  by one of their own players.
The game ended 9-1 to Nottingham with Lewis How picking up the Spirit of the Game Award. A great team performance from all involved.
The Ice Cats received a warm welcome from the Lancashire side who battled hard until the end of the game, (particularly their netminder Ellie Green.) We look forward to seeing them in November at the NIC