Ice Cats travelled to Widnes

The Ice Cats travelled to Widnes on Saturday the 3rd of November for what would be their opposition’s first ever home game in the Under 15 age group.

Both teams came out working hard with the Widnes netminder, Callum Thompson pulling off some great saves. Four minutes in though Nottingham opened the scoring through Oscar Marshall assisted by James Lovett. Soon after, the second Nottingham goal was provided by Mitch Jewitt from Henry Pont.

Goals three and four for the Ice Cats came from Marco Ludlam, both unassisted

Two more goals were scored by the away side before the end of the first period, Henry Pont laid the puck off in front of goal for Mitch Jewitt to score with Mitch then returning the favour for a goal from Henry with an additional assist from Jasper Smith. Ice Cats 6 – Widnes Wild 0.

The second period started similarly to the first with a valiant effort from the home team and their netminder and, once again, 4 minutes in Oscar Marshall found the back of the net this time assisted by Jasper Smith.

Halfway through the second period, starting goalie Charlie Henry was replaced in the net by Owen Crowder

Before the period ended Mitch Jewitt scored twice more – the first unassisted, the second provided by Will Ellington. Ice Cats 9 – Widnes Wild 0.
The third period started and Mitch was back on form with an unassisted goal thirty seconds in.

Goal eleven was set up by Ryan Walsh and scored by Luc Davies.

Nottingham then picked up their only penalty of the game with Jake Grainger receiving 2 minutes for a late hit. Undeterred, Henry Pont got control of the puck and scored short-handed. Before the penalty was over, Henry had scored again with an assist from Mitch Jewitt.

A big hit from Joe Howie on the Widnes captain Jack Davies was followed by a hit from Davies himself to a Nottingham player against the boards. Unfortunately for him the referees saw this as a late hit and Davies was given a 2 minute penalty.

Widnes did a sterling job of killing the penalty and did not concede whilst short-handed.

The scoring was completed when Henry Pont won a face-off, broke away and lifted the puck back handed into the top corner for a bar down beauty.

The game finished 14-0 to Nottingham with Luc Davies being awarded player of the game.

Credit goes to Widnes in their first season as a team for their work ethic and positive attitude against a more experienced team who iced nearly twice the number of players.

Photo Credit: Geoff White